Monday, March 19, 2012

Paper Mache Easter Eggs

I came across an adorable post on the Not Martha blog detailing how to make paper mache eggs using liquid starch, water balloons and tissue paper. I thought this was a wonderful project to make for my daughter's birthday which falls on Easter this year. Since Not Martha did such a wonderful job detailing how to make these eggs in her original post, I will only highlight the variations I tried.


Close up of the bunny punch out eggs that I made on my improvised drying rack (hangers and clothes pins).

1. The dots on the eggs Not Martha's eggs were absolutely adorable. However, since I was making 50+ eggs for Catie's party and class gifts,  I quickly got tired of trying to put little bunny punch outs on the eggs and moved on to stripes.

Eggs decorated with strips of colored tissue paper.

2. I next replaced the tissue paper with streamers in this process. The streamer eggs seemed more flexible than the tissue paper ones, but then again there was also 1 layer instead of 3-4.

Yellow/red egg made from streamers.

3. Since I wanted to stuff the eggs with larger items (toy cars, etc.), I found that cutting a cross in the tops worked better for filling the eggs that cutting in two places only.

Cross shape cut in top of egg.

4. I used gift wrap curling ribbon instead of string as a brighter way to attached the 'pull me' note.

A bowl full of eggs.

5. I filled a few of the eggs with lollipops and left the sticks sticking out to make them look like balloons. I was not completely happy with the result, but have posted a picture here in case it is something someone else might want to try.
Lollipop egg.

6. Finally, I thought the eggs turned out so well that I made some out of normal-sized balloons to use as decorations. The striped eggs were created by wrapping strips of colored tissue paper around the eggs. The polka dot eggs were made by using a tissue paper that already had that design on it.

Large eggs for party decorations.
Good luck and I hope that you have as much fun making these eggs as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment